welcome to the end of the thought process.

Tuesday, December 11, 2007

The Christmas Schmaltz

Yes, Gentle Readers, not even the Prisoner of Culture is immune to some good old fashioned sentimentality. Now, I like to think of myself as a pretty modern guy, but there is just something about Christmas that turns me into an old fashioned boy. I prefer the "old school" and traditional things associated with Christmas. I like the original Christmas Carols (Good King Wenceslas is my all time favourite) and the old time Christmas songs, sung by the old school artists like, Bing Crosby or Frank Sinatra and I like the old Christmas movies and and TV shows.

Shrek the Halls is alright, but it's no How the
Grinch Stole Christmas (the good TV version, not that Jim Carrey abomination) or the Charlie Brown Christmas. Fred Clause or The Santa Claus may pack them in at the Googleplex, but for me they are no match for Scrooge (1951) with Alistair Sim or White Christmas (1954). There are a few modern exceptions of course. It wouldn't be Christmas without National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation (1989). However, in my family Christmas Vacation is just simply referred to as "our Christmas home movies," as the character of Clark Griswold seems to be based on my Dad. And I always look forward to Bill Murray in Scrooged (1988). Although both of these films are "modern" I would argue that they have that older sensibility to them that is lacking in the stuff that is produced today.

At any rate, my favourite movie at Christmas time is White Christmas, hands down. It is kind of hokey and really old fashioned, but every year I so look forward to it.

White Christmas was directed by Michael Curtiz (Casablanca) and starred Bing Crosby (Going My Way) and Danny Kaye (The Court Jester) as a pair of Broadway producers who bring their entire production to a friend's inn to help bring in business. That's the basic outline at any rate.

I used to watch this movie with my Mom at this time of year. She really was crazy for this movie and that may be part of why I like it so much.
Of course, it is a musical with fabulous outfits so, it may be that it's the perfect Christmas movie for a gay man; who knows? Anyway, this will be my family's first Christmas without my Mom, who was all about Christmas and I'm not really sure that I can bring myself to watch White Christmas this year.

However, I will watch this little clip that I've included from the movie. It's one of my favourite songs from the movie and it reminds me that no matter how bad things are or what is going on, there is always something for which to be thankful.

This turned into an unusually personal post for me, but this is a time for hope and hope is something you try to share.

I hope you enjoy, Count Your Blessings.


No comments: