welcome to the end of the thought process.

Saturday, December 22, 2007

Coming Soon (Finally)

Well Gentle Readers, I'm not sure about this one at all. Although I am a fan of the Highlander series, I'm not sure what to make of Highlander: The Source.

I should qualify that I'm crazy about the first film, Highlander (1986) starring Christopher Lambert (The Fortress) (who is dreadful but, what are ya gonna do?)
and Sean Connery (The Hunt for Red October). I'm also all about the television series Highlander (1992-1998) that starred Adrian Paul (look for him soon in one of my Eye Candy segments, grrrrooowwwlll) as Duncan MacLeod. The television series, especially the last few seasons, was good with a few really good episodes. I also liked Highlander: Endgame (2000). I thought it was a nice wee tie-in to the TV show and we finally got rid of Lambert for good. As for the other films and even some of the television episodes - pure shite. In fact, I completely block out of my mind that Highlander 2: The Quickening (1991) and Highlander 3: The Sorcerer (1994) were ever made.

I thought Highlander: The Source however, had an interesting premise that carried on with the adventures of Duncan MacLeod, a cool, layered character that I like, and so I waited patiently, but cautiously for it's release. Then, "poof" it disappeared only to resurface in foreign theatrical releases with the North American release on the Sci-Fi channel in the U.S.. It causes me some concern when a movie is intended for a theatrical release and it ends up on cable instead.

Directed by Brett Leonard (The Lawnmower Man), Highlander: The Source follows the continuing adventures of Duncan MacLeod, an immortal who was born in the Highlands of Scotland some 500 years ago. The immortals are locked in an eternal battle until only one remains to claim "the prize." MacLeod and other immortals, set out on a quest to discover the "Holy Grail" of immortality in an attempt to explain their existence.

I really do not know what to make of all this. I will be the first one to admit that the Highlander series is not known for it's stellar acting and it is kind of cheesy, but it is usually entertaining with cool sword-fights and flashbacks to Duncan's past. In addition, the characters of Duncan MacLeod and Methos are pretty well written and acted by Adrian Paul and Peter Wingfield respectively. The trailer looks decent and I'm hoping that it is at least as entertaining as Highlander: Endgame. At the end of the day, I know I'm going to see it, but I do have my reservations.

Highlander: The Source will be available on DVD on 26 February 2008, according to it's official website. Highlander: The Source stars Adrian Paul (Little Chicago), Thekla Reuten (In Tranzit) and Peter Wingfield (X2: X-Men United).


No comments: