welcome to the end of the thought process.

Monday, December 10, 2007

Christmas Stories

The other morning, Gentle Readers, my Dad and I were just sitting about chit chatting about this and that. Now I should tell you, Gentle Readers, that my Dad is, well, he is, that is to say he's quite nuts. He is a very funny guy and we never know what is going to come out of his mouth, so he has provided much entertainment for my brother and I over the years.

At any rate, Dad was talking about how he still needed to get our ancient Christmas stockings out of the attic and hang them on the mantle. What follows is a verbatim (well close enough) recounting of how the tradition of "stockings hung by the fire," came about.

"Do you know where the tradition of hanging a stocking comes from? Well, people used to hang their socks by the fire to dry them off. Claus came in and said, "Aw shit, I guess I'd better put something in those."

And that, Gentle Reader, is the tradition of the Christmas stocking according to my father.

No comments: